Thanksgiving dinner was a massive hit! Somehow, I managed to feed 16 people fifteen dishes to everyone’s delight. I will save the turkey recipe and traditional sides for next year, but I wanted to give you guys this super simple, absolutely stunning Apple Tart recipe because it will be making another appearance at Yule and Christmas. It was a smash, and I know your family will love it as much as mine does.
- 3 Red Delicious apples, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 1 can refrigerated cinnamon roll dough
- powdered sugar *optional*
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease round baking dish.
- Rinse and core apples.
- Half apples top to bottom (length-wise), and using mandolin or sharp knife slice apples into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Place apple slices in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Mix melted butter, lemon juice, brown sugar, and salt and pour over apples. Use your hands to spread evenly.
- Microwave apple slices for approximately 2 minutes or until pliable.
- Unroll cinnamon roll in pan, leaving room for apple slices to be tucked neatly inside.
- Lay out 8-10 apple slices and roll tightly to create the center of the rose.
- Tuck remaining apple slices around the spiral.
- Bake 20 minutes or until apples are fork-tender and cinnamon roll is lightly browned.
- Top with either powdered sugar or, if your crew has a bit more of a sweet tooth, the icing pack from the cinnamon rolls. Serve warm.
Here’s what it looks like naked.
My brother and eldest playfully argued about who got to eat this tart. The whole thing. In the end, my son got a single slice, my step-father received half of a slice, and my brother ate all of what was left! I will certainly have to make more than one for the family Christmas dinner. Hopefully, one will be enough for our little solstice celebration here at home, but who knows!